It was renamed Roosevelt Cottage at the same time the Riccar Inn was renamed the Presidential Inn and reflects the owner's respect for Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt was a guest at the resort when he was commissioner of police in New York City and the Rickers played host to him in Lewiston when he visited Maine as president. Contrary to one story, Roosevelt did not have the building constructed for himself.
Canary Cottage (now known as Roosevelt Cottage) was constructed in 1905 for use as a store for resort guests and passerbys, office space for the secretaries of the Ricker brothers and for the Poland Telephone Company. Designed by George Coombs, the building was converted to use as cottage space several decades ago.
Like other building on the property, this cottage is rentable. Please respect the privacy of its inhabitants.